Mould, Moisture, and Your Home

The key to mould control is moisture control. If mould is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mould promptly and fix the water problem. It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-36 hours to prevent mould growth.

In this articel lets take a look at mould closer.

 

Mould Basics

The key to mould control is moisture control. If mould is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mould promptly and fix the water problem. It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-36 hours to prevent mould growth.

Why is mould growing in my home?

Moulds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, moulds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mould growth should be avoided. Moulds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mould may begin growing indoors when mould spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mould, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Can mould cause health problems?

Moulds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mould spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Moulds have the potential to cause health problems. Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mould or mould spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mould are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mould. In addition, mould exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mould-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mould. Research on mould and health effects is ongoing. This brochure provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to mould exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional. You may also wish to consult your local health department.

How do I get rid of mould?

It is impossible to get rid of all mould and mould spores indoors; some mould spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mould spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mould growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mould growth in your home, you must clean up the mould and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mould, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mould problem will come back.

Please note: Dead mould may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mould, it must also be removed.


Got questions?  Need an inspection?

Call 1.705.331.2951 or by Email

Back to Home Inspections Barrie